Tuesday 22 April 2014

Absence - 21st Day of Gratitude

They say absence makes the heart grow fonder. And as I type those words it occurs to me how familiar it seems to me, almost like Dejavou.

Having now had a look back, it is because almost a year to the day, I blogged about the exact same thing! And for the same reasons! This was that post if you would like to check it out.

For this year however, I have this post ...

Maybe that is true. But for different people at different times absence can serve many other purposes. 

My eldest child MJ has turned 17 years old. MJ and I recently agreed our relationship is changing as adulthood looms on the horizon. Independence needs to be learnt, responsibilities taken on, consequences truly understood. 

How better to learn those things than to experience situations on our own. 
The first 5 days of the school holidays, spanning the first weekend, MJ spent at a Camp with like minded people, having to take part in all general house keeping; and all campers obviously are responsible for their own personal care. 

MJ was only home one night when the agreement made previously to house sit for friends over Easter was enacted. MJ was solely responsible for a complete house AND one dog plus three puppies. 

We have never had pets of our own. Despite that, MJ has always had an interest in owning a dog. Not sure if that is still an interest. This could be one of those cases where absence makes the heart grow fonder as MJ forgets over time what hard work pets actually are. 

So while I am certain much learning has taken place over the last ten days for MJ, I know I too have learnt something.

I have learnt I am grateful for absence because it truly does make the heart grow fonder.

No comments:

Post a Comment