Tuesday 1 April 2014

Grateful In April 2014 - 1st Day of Gratitude

It's that time of year again! Yes, it's April! Which means it's time for ....

Just click on the link above to find out more about this fantastic project!

This time last year, I wrote this post about how grateful I was for my Education.

I sited my Happy Ending to be that I would return to study this year with the hope to go to University.



I am very happy to report that I have returned to study. I am also very happy to report that I have learnt to bring some balance to my life.

Therefore, I am at TAFE.  I am studying Certificate IV in Community Service Work.

I am very happy with the course itself, I am enjoying the subjects and the people,  I am enjoying having contact with like minded people, I am enjoying once again being a person in my own right.

I go to TAFE and I am me. I am not Mum, I am not a Carer, I am not anyone's sounding board, I am not there for anyone else but me.  And I am loving it!

The balance I talk about is that I was sensible enough to have not taken on too much.



I realise how I would not have enjoyed the course as much if it were causing enough stress in my life that it had become unpleasant, I also understand I would have been setting myself up for failure had I taken on too much.

These may seem like simple, sensible things that you would imagine most people to just "get", but when you have a mental illness and your life is in turmoil and your default is to make decisions on the run, these new actions are real achievements. And let me tell you, it feels good to be able to look at what I have done, and the decisions I have made, and actually be really proud of myself.

So, this year, I am once again grateful for my Education, but I am also very grateful for my ability to learn. Two very different things.

The Happy Ending will be when I graduate from my course at the end of this year!!!



Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. Douglas Adams

No comments:

Post a Comment