Wednesday 17 April 2013

Gratitude - 16th Day of Gratitude

I was woken this morning by a tiny little noise that was not unfamiliar to me, and yet made me curious enough to open my eyes. When I did, the only thing I could see was the smiling face of my 10 year old, LJ, so close in fact, I had very little peripheral vision left. He is a cheeky kid at times.

He was up and ready to take on the world, so he thought I should be too!


Straight to the bathroom to start our usual morning rituals and then on to the kitchen, where the first thing that happens is the kettle is filled and switched on.

LJ finds himself a drink and gets the TV up and going (ABC 4 Kids of course) while I prepare some breakfast.

So it is normal that I don't see any news from outside our quiet little home for at least an hour after I wake of a morning.

By the time the 16 year old had dragged himself out of bed, I had managed to grab a bit of real TV and was almost sorry that I had ... as I sat quietly sobbing, trying not to let on to either of the boys that I was crying, MJ asked, "What's the Boston Marathon Mum?", and that, was when I had to really try to hold it together.  The charade did not last very long as we both watched the extent of the horror unfold in front of us.

My heart breaks for every single person that was there, every single person who saw what they saw, were part of the devastation and part of the rescue, for the families that went out for a celebration and came home having experienced the most horrific day of their lives.

Having said that, some families did not go home, some did not even get to say good bye and some, will never be complete again.

To those who have lost loved ones as a result of this tragedy, I am truly and deeply sorry for your loss. For those who have been injured, I wish you all speedy recoveries, both physically and emotionally. And for all the people who were there today, I wish you peace, love and healing.

While I am not a religious person, I do believe in a greater being, and tonight, that is who I will be praying to, asking for protection for all those who are mourning this horrific thing that has happened and has happened to so many people.

Today is a day when we put all our differences aside and join as one.  Believer or not, light a candle, and pray, just pray.


So today, I am grateful for gratitude itself. As I watch my children sleep tonight, I know I have much to be grateful for, and for that alone, I am truly, truly grateful.


4 comments:

  1. Beautiful post. Makes you wonder where each day might end. Thank goodness we don't xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. Yes, living in the moment sure takes on a whole new meaning :(

      Delete
  2. Lovely post Sandra, and I too had a tear in my eye. Someone I know once said "The more I see and hear about some aspects of humanity, the more I love my dog." I kinda agree when 'humanity' commits such horrendous acts.

    Thankfully though, the good of humanity (mostly) outweighs the bad.

    G. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love that saying. So apt. Yes, we need to hold on to the good bits. xo

      Delete