Tuesday 23 April 2013

The "better than" - 23rd Day of Gratitude

Many times in my life I have planned for things and found, much to my surprise, that they did not go quite as I has envisaged.

When the dust has settled though, a quirky little phrase that I have often muttered to myself was, "At least it is better than ..." what ever that worse alternative might have been.

So today when I went and picked up MJ after his night with friends, I was very tentative to see him.  You see, he had also decided to get a piercing!

In NSW Australia, there are many body piercings that are completely legal once a person is 16 years old, without having to produce consent from a parent.

MJ and I had discussed this and while I did say that I would prefer him not to, he had decided long ago that he wanted this piercing and since he had a 16th Birthday in late March, there was nothing I could do to stop him (reason did not do it).

He had the money, the inclination and the law on his side!!! *sigh*

Just a word of warning for new parents ... When your gorgeous little 7 year old (picture below) comes to you and asks for ANYTHING you don't EVER want them to have, don't, whatever you do DON'T tell them they can have it when they are 16!

You think, Oh, that is sooooo long away, he will never remember; it's just a phase, it will pass. You even for a moment smile and pat him on the head thinking "how cute"... You think you are humouring them, you are not. You are simply giving them permission 9 years in advance!

Don't say you weren't warned!


CHILDREN NEVER FORGET!


And so, when I look into the face of my handsome son, which I can do standing on a chair or by looking directly up, this is what I now see.

A subtle reminder from a friend in the form of a text message where she just happened to use my quirky little phrase in response to my despondent text regarding the nose jewellery, gave me back some perspective, "I suppose its better than tats."  (Not that I have anything against them, just not on my son's pristine skin!)

She is right in a sense, if he gets bored with it, he can take it out and no harm done. My very wise friend also reminded me that he wasn't doing it to spite me, it was about him being happy. Well, he certainly has my blessing when it comes to his happiness.

It seems they have done an excellent job (what would I know?) as it is in exactly the right spot and all that, he tells me.

The more I look at it the more I am getting used to it. I think the hardest part for me is the fact that MJ being 7 years old, doesn't really seem all that long ago.  I guess I am just getting old ...

Today, I am grateful for the "better than", because it certainly could have been much, much worse.

Source

4 comments:

  1. Haha, yes indeed it could have! You handled the situation well - in my experience prohibiting things and making them taboo can enhance their appeal (and that combined with teen rebellion...)My 16 yo daughter's belly piercing at 15 was a sharp learning curve for me :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes! I am grateful I don't have a daughter. I remember being a teenager. Not fun! Well, for Mum that is. ;-)

      Delete
  2. I sooo love this post - it takes me back! This almost like a retelling of me at 16. I too did the whole piercing thing. Back then though, it was adventurous for a young guy to get an ear pierced, so of course that's what I did. I went out after school one afternoon and came home with my left ear pierced. My mum was so good about it, and down played it so as not to make a big 'thing' of it. I can still hear her comment of "well I guess it's your head and you have to live with it". She said that many times in my early adulthood - the things I did with my hair - no wonder I'm now bald! LOL.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is funny! Oh to be that trendy now. Lol
      I am grateful also that MJ has a good eye for fashion, so he generally directs any spare cash in that area. Win/Win :-)

      Delete